Pony Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
I made "backcard stories" for the HQ Customs.Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:02 amPonybookwormCelestial Swirls- Stamping Styles & Mystery of the Method: Can you help?Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:59 pmClipperHQG1C Land & Sea Meet: Bigger Cruise, Bigger Fun in 2024! (Hurry for a deal!)Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:57 pmClipperPonybookworm's Most WantedTue Sep 05, 2023 7:21 pmPonybookwormHello I'm StormrunnerWed Aug 23, 2023 5:07 pmStormrunnerClipper's - Want ListMon Aug 21, 2023 12:49 amClipper2023 Southwestern PA Pony MeetWed Jul 19, 2023 3:23 pmstarbritesprinklesIntroductionWed Jul 19, 2023 2:09 pmfilmcodedHello, Everybody!Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:07 pmPonybookwormHello nice to meet you!Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:51 pmlolacat
Go down
MnDancer
MnDancer
Fakie
Fakie

Sapphire Knight  Empty Sapphire Knight

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:25 pm
Here is my latest HQG1C custom Sapphire Knight. He was dyed with sapphire blue dyemore, his hair is Sunlight from Dollyhair. I decided to try something new with the cutie mark; since I couldn't find a paint that had the same shine as chrome, like I wanted, so I decided to try gold leaf. I got a gold leafing kit from Joann's online. I created a stencil of the dragon design I wanted and placed it on the pony. Then I painted on the leafing adhesive and waited for it to dry, then laid on the gold foil. After that, I removed the stencil and the excess foil. I had to repeat the process with the foil in areas where it didn't quite stick the first time. I used a soft paint brush to remove excess foil. When that was done, it looked like it needed more detail. So I used an exacto knife to carefully clean it up and added more detail by scraping away bits of foil and adhesive. The tribal armband I did free hand when painted on the adhesive but otherwise it was the same process. Once I had all the leafing the way I wanted it, I sealed it with mod podge gloss. It still seemed like it needed something else and I remembered seeing some premade gold unicorn horns on Retrodolls US, so I ordered one. (Which, btw, took over a month to arrive, don't think I'll order anything else from there) When it got here, I debated for a while on how to attach it. I finally ended up sanding the bottom flat then krazy gluing it on for lack of a better idea, but so far so good. When I first came up with concept for this pony, I intended to sell him, but he's turned out so well, I don't think I can do it now! I do have plans for making him a matching dragon when the white gitd blanks come in.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ponybookworm likes this post

Ponybookworm
Ponybookworm
Pepper Jack
Pepper Jack

Sapphire Knight  Empty Re: Sapphire Knight

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:24 pm
That gold leafing process sounds painstaking, but it looks worth it!!! Do you live in the States btw??? Just wondered because I'm in the UK, & if you are in the States & things take so long to get to you, trans-Atlantic post will be worse...

Anyway, your boy looks amazing!!! I'm not really a dyer, & definitely not a leafer... but I can't help but wonder if the idea to use Sunlight for yours is anything like using Moonlight in mine...
MnDancer
MnDancer
Fakie
Fakie

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:32 am
I am in the US, the seller took a month just to send the package. She did send an extra horn, which I appreciated, but that was the first time I ordered from there and it didn't make a good first impression, so I won't order from there again. But anyway, the gold leafing was definitely a learning process. I never reied to do that before, but I like how it turned out, so I will definitely do that again sometime on future customs. I habe used Moonlight hair before and Starlight, too. I love the metallic shine they have. I have a g4 work in progress that I've blended Starlight and Moonlight together on a white alicorn. It looks pretty cool so far, but I haven't settled on a symbol yet.
Ponybookworm
Ponybookworm
Pepper Jack
Pepper Jack

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:40 am
I know right??? Go see my Prince Zircon!!! His hiar is Moonshine wi tiny stripes of Moonlight through it. I did another Pony wi a combo of Sugar Plum & Moonlight & her hair looks like frosted plums!!!
MnDancer
MnDancer
Fakie
Fakie

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:25 am
That was yours?! I did see Prince Zircon in one of the Facebook groups. I love him and his matching dragon! It inspired me to do a prince custom, though I 'm not yet sure what it should look like. I'm also going to do a matching dragon for Sapphire Knight, but I didn't want it to be a glitter dragon so I 'm waiting for the white gitd blanks.
Ponybookworm
Ponybookworm
Pepper Jack
Pepper Jack

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:21 pm
I really look forward to those blanks!!! If you look in my Gallery page on here, you'll see my Fimo dragons I made for other Princesses, as well as Princess Diamond... The Fimo dragons are cute & all, but they aren't QUITE like Pony dragons... (I tried, I honestly did, I even had one of my actual dragons sit in front of me for reference)
Lightningsilver-mana
Lightningsilver-mana
Fakie
Fakie

Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:39 pm
Oh that is gorgeous. That gold is amazing!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum