Pony Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
I made "backcard stories" for the HQ Customs.Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:02 amPonybookwormCelestial Swirls- Stamping Styles & Mystery of the Method: Can you help?Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:59 pmClipperHQG1C Land & Sea Meet: Bigger Cruise, Bigger Fun in 2024! (Hurry for a deal!)Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:57 pmClipperPonybookworm's Most WantedTue Sep 05, 2023 7:21 pmPonybookwormHello I'm StormrunnerWed Aug 23, 2023 5:07 pmStormrunnerClipper's - Want ListMon Aug 21, 2023 12:49 amClipper2023 Southwestern PA Pony MeetWed Jul 19, 2023 3:23 pmstarbritesprinklesIntroductionWed Jul 19, 2023 2:09 pmfilmcodedHello, Everybody!Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:07 pmPonybookwormHello nice to meet you!Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:51 pmlolacat

3D Pony Project - All Progress and updates (massive post)

+5
MrsGatamon
Clipper
wizzer218
Pinacolada
dream crystal
9 posters
Go down
dream crystal
dream crystal
Fakie
Fakie

3D Pony Project - All Progress and updates (massive post) Empty 3D Pony Project - All Progress and updates (massive post)

Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:30 am
Hello all! I was told this might be the best place to post this so here goes!

For the past few months I've been working on a project, and while I'm still working on it I wanted to share the progress of the project up to when it's finally done. Some of you may have seen these photos on Facebook already either on my own page or on one of the pony groups on FB (Note I didn't post these to the project group page because I didn't want to take away from it and wanted to be courteous Very Happy)

However, I've been given a few nudges to share here so I'll do so XD, I'll still be posting my progress on FB but not all of the progress images will leave my personal page.. but they will end up here Razz

So without further ado here is all the progress photos with dates and whatever I had said about them Razz

Also note any progress updates will be posted AFTER this post for my sanity sake. I do have more progress but I just need to kind of get more photos lol.

December 30, 2016
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Project2017 is underway. Hopefully I can get this done without an issue. No details yet as most of what I'm doing is laying out where things need to go.. Although I did spend some time with the ears, I may redo those because I do need to fix some points on the head, but I may keep the head layout as is.. I think it's kind of cute even though not accurate anatomy wise... We'll see..

And yes once this is model is done I WILL 3D print it.. Either with the Library's 3D printer or if I ever get my own 3D printer it will be done that way.. either way it won't be as smooth as the final model.

February 3
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Legs being worked on... they look funny I know but keep in mind I'm used to drawing critters not making them into 3D models. I'm hoping to make it fully jointed but there will possibly be problems.. We'll see. Also the body itself is still in just placeholder stage.. Not sure about the ears.. might redo those 100%.. Oh and there is one piece of anatomy on this thing that cannot be seen XD

February 12
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Small update, just made some adjustments to the front legs and the neck and chest.

February 25
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Slow slow edits. Edited the legs and the back and some of the body. I was hoping to get this done and 3D printed before my B-day but it would seem that once again I cheated myself lol

I'm deading having to work on the hooves because ugh I cannot get critter feet right in this program. I'm hoping that once I get it done I can remove all those lines in another program and break it up to make it poseable... We'll see..

February 25
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Ok thought I would show you guys a little posing test run before I do more edits later... This is in another program and so far I found I mad an error in the legs.. mostly.. Just need to change the joints for the elbow and add a joint for the knee.

The head has been tilted, an ear has been tilted, the mouth is open, and one leg is partly raised. I may slightly raise a back leg too..

I would LOVE some impute on the model, kind of so I can gauge how I'm doing and currently what others thing. However, I know the anatomy is off but this is semi-close to my drawing style (not really but sort of) and my pony style is not 100% accurate with anatomy anyway XD

February 26
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Another quick update. Debating on how I want to do the hairline... both the head and body are now two seperate pieces.

I need to test making a hairline for 3D printed figures and I have two options to do so.. Trench-style or plug-style. Trench-style is like what you see on model horses that have non-molded hair, and Plug-style is like what you see with most dolls and My Little Ponies. One style takes shorter time to make on the model but both look kind of odd XD

What do you guys think?

Note: both styles would be done in two to 3 rows depending on the size and space I have in the hairline.

March 2
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Edits made to the jointed model.
Right image is one I've posted before but I wanted itfor comparison.

Left model has had an extra joint added to the front legs and I'm working on the shoulder area now after a suggestion made to the posed model. I'm thinking of going back and adding a joint to the chest/rib area for more posing later. And I know the shoulder looks weird but trust me I am still working on it.. It's more or less being set up for a ball joint and that was the EASIEST area to start doing so.. other than the head. I'm still debating on adding another joint to the neck..We'll see..

Feedback is always appreciated Smile If you need another angle view of the jointed version then let me know <3

March 6
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]While the leg ended up stumpy I can still work with this. Still working on the main model though. This is just a test Wink

March 18
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]More small edits.
I find that I cannot really work on this for very long at a time... but I was given some suggestion and while I can't do all the suggestions at once I can do one or two.

Still roughing out some of the jointed areas before I go and try to figure out how to do the joints at all. I really wish I could make the ears have the ability to rotate but because of their size and shape that is not possible with this model..

I'm still dreading on working on those feet though.. maybe I should redo the feet from scratch and crop the bottom of them off in another program (although I can do the same thing with the current.. I'm also unsure with the back legs right now..

Oh well still in rough stages XD

And after several tries to get this post up, I'm finally able to get it up... silly site kept giving me an error till I changed all the outside links x.x
Pinacolada
Pinacolada
Fakie
Fakie
http://larrachersan.deviantart.com/

3D Pony Project - All Progress and updates (massive post) Empty Re: 3D Pony Project - All Progress and updates (massive post)

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:23 pm
Wow, you put an amazing lot of work into this! Very Happy
The model with the raised leg looks awesome, so does the first test print.
The face is sweet and the body is really well done. Feet.... maybe add the "dip" at the back of the hooves, is it called fetlock? I'm not sure how it will work with the joints being moveable, but it might add to the look of the feet.
dream crystal
dream crystal
Fakie
Fakie

3D Pony Project - All Progress and updates (massive post) Empty Re: 3D Pony Project - All Progress and updates (massive post)

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:18 pm
Thank you Pinacolada! The feet are going to be one of the last things I work on since they look.. um bad lol

Hmm I thought I had posted this in Show and Tell.. did I goof or did it get moved XD
wizzer218
wizzer218
Admin
Admin

Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:51 pm
Fun... GREAT job
dream crystal
dream crystal
Fakie
Fakie

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:02 pm
Photos of the Static test subjects.. I can't quite capture them very well because... well they are white and not a matted white at that >.<

Still I do plan on doing something with these.. may keep one with a stumpy leg but I may as well just fix it too..

I think those two are good test subjects for using one type of filler to smooth them out and the one that actually turned out nearly right can be used for another type..

Also ack I need to find another way to take shots of these Sad

(note: I don't have anything holding the heads on so that could be partly why they look a little off lol)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Pinacolada
Pinacolada
Fakie
Fakie
http://larrachersan.deviantart.com/

Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:42 am
I love this! The ponies do look great, I'd love to see them coloured one day.
And just for me, who doesn't know anything about 3D printers.....what are they made of? Paper or plastic? I don't get it. I know they are done in layers, you can see that, but the material?
dream crystal
dream crystal
Fakie
Fakie

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:55 am
Pinacolada wrote:I love this! The ponies do look great, I'd love to see them coloured one day.
And just for me, who doesn't know anything about 3D printers.....what are they made of? Paper or plastic? I don't get it. I know they are done in layers, you can see that, but the material?
these are made out of plastic, however, some places can do paper, wood/metal, resin, and a variety of other materials
Clipper
Clipper
Celebration
Celebration
http://clipper.ecrater.com

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:07 pm
Looking good! I think these will be moved again to the high quality section :-p
MrsGatamon
MrsGatamon
Fakie
Fakie

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:19 pm
Dream Crystal I know you are working on wings too. Are those just for dragons or are you also planning pegusas ponies?
retrodollsus
retrodollsus
Puppy Love
Puppy Love

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:32 pm
those look awesome!
dream crystal
dream crystal
Fakie
Fakie

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:10 pm
MrsGatamon wrote:Dream Crystal I know you are working on wings too. Are those just for dragons or are you also planning pegusas ponies?
The wings I have come from a model I got off of Thingivers. The are dragon only and are not stable enough for this project due to how they were designed. I do want to eventually make wings for the poseable version but I need to figure out the joint that lets the wing fold. If anyone has some ideas let me know Razz
dream crystal
dream crystal
Fakie
Fakie

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:10 pm
Clipper wrote:Looking good! I think these will be moved again to the high quality section :-p
High quality section XD?
Kc8114
Kc8114
Fakie
Fakie

Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:52 pm
Wow!! How impressive. They look amazing!!
dream crystal
dream crystal
Fakie
Fakie

Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:54 pm
Kc8114 wrote:Wow!!  How impressive.  They look amazing!!
Thank you!
dream crystal
dream crystal
Fakie
Fakie

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:08 pm
Did a tiny bit of work on this but I need to decide before going further. I actually was able to sort of fix the feet but now I'm trying to decide if I want to leave them flat on the bottom or have something there... the stand alone has something on the bottom but not quite sure... thoughts?

MLPExpress
Fakie
Fakie

Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:57 am
So it's like a dog/pony mix pony right?
dream crystal
dream crystal
Fakie
Fakie

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:52 am
MLPExpress wrote:So it's like a dog/pony mix pony right?
Well no o_o;

Although I do admit I have a very canine-ish style that seems to slip into my work XD
Clipper
Clipper
Celebration
Celebration
http://clipper.ecrater.com

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:08 pm
I hope you really don't give up on this . You will perfect it Smile
dream crystal
dream crystal
Fakie
Fakie

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:32 pm
Clipper wrote:I hope you really don't give up on this . You will perfect it Smile
Nah, that post on FB was an April Fool's day joke Wink
dream crystal
dream crystal
Fakie
Fakie

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:30 pm
Hmmm should I make the neck a little longer or do you guys think it's ok as is? I know when I draw my ponies sometimes they have a longer neck.
dream crystal
dream crystal
Fakie
Fakie

Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:23 am
Another update, trying to decide... keep the ears or change them out. Top images are new ears and a slight change to the head, bottom images are the current head and ears.. Thoughts? I may have to make more changes to the head... yay for being able to copy and paste in Sculptris!

hqg1c
hqg1c
Admin
Admin

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:07 am
I think i like the bottom ones ears better.
dream crystal
dream crystal
Fakie
Fakie

Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:37 pm
Yeah I don't think I can trade out the ears too used to the old ones XD

Edit: for now I need to decide what to do with the 3 prints I have. More specifically the one that is actually good XD
dream crystal
dream crystal
Fakie
Fakie

Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:15 pm
Ok now *rolls up sleeves* time to work on this!

*a few hours later on and off* Ok I need a break to rethink some of this D:
------
Ok so that's pretty much where the project stands. I did manage to start on SOME of the joins but now I'm trying to figure out how I need to do part of a certain joint... Needless to say it might be December before I'm done with this I:<
dream crystal
dream crystal
Fakie
Fakie

Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:29 am
Another Update
Did several changes including adding placement for ball joins for the head, neck, and elbows. I was trying to wrap my head around how to get those elbow joints to work and so far this is what I have. I was referencing several BJD Horses and Centaurs... turns out there is at least 2 ways to do the joints for the legs... but getting them set up right is not easy.. so I went with the one that looks the easiest to me.. this will allow some rotation at the elbow but it will depend on how I get it strung up.. we'll see

Pretty much I'm going to be partly redoing the legs as when I tried to make them the first time they just didn't look right XD

Also I'm thinking of added light feathering to the hoof area.. if I can figure out how in Sculptris..

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum