Pony Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
I made "backcard stories" for the HQ Customs.Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:02 amPonybookwormCelestial Swirls- Stamping Styles & Mystery of the Method: Can you help?Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:59 pmClipperHQG1C Land & Sea Meet: Bigger Cruise, Bigger Fun in 2024! (Hurry for a deal!)Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:57 pmClipperPonybookworm's Most WantedTue Sep 05, 2023 7:21 pmPonybookwormHello I'm StormrunnerWed Aug 23, 2023 5:07 pmStormrunnerClipper's - Want ListMon Aug 21, 2023 12:49 amClipper2023 Southwestern PA Pony MeetWed Jul 19, 2023 3:23 pmstarbritesprinklesIntroductionWed Jul 19, 2023 2:09 pmfilmcodedHello, Everybody!Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:07 pmPonybookwormHello nice to meet you!Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:51 pmlolacat
Go down
Ponybookworm
Ponybookworm
Pepper Jack
Pepper Jack

Who here likes other Generations than G1??? Empty Who here likes other Generations than G1???

Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:42 am
Me for starters. I love all generations of Pony (though the G4s are a tad small unless I get them Fashion Style). I've even made Newborn Cuties of the Soft Newborns (Petal Dove still to go) & some G3.5 Customs.

My faves/ mascots from each are: G1: Twisty Tail; G2: Trixiebelle; G3: Starcatcher; G4: Twilight Sparkle mostly, but also love Starlight Glimmer & Daring Do. I have large numbers of every Generation of Pony plus a good few Plush & other merch. Feel free to share your love for other Pony generations here
Elysian_Moon
Elysian_Moon
Fakie
Fakie

Who here likes other Generations than G1??? Empty Re: Who here likes other Generations than G1???

Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 pm
Me.  To a Degree. LoL

Gen. 1 - absolutely love.  They were the 1st, they created the Love of the MLP Toys as well as the Desires I needed to Own them All. Wink  Duplicates Welcome too.  However, I was not a fan of those Petite Ponies or the Dream Beauties.  That saying... 'If it's not broke, why fix it' comes to mind.  I felt those ruined the Toy Line when Hasbro went cheaper and Smaller on the Petites.  I do have a Dream Beauty... somewhere.  LOL

Gen. 2 - was so happy to see a new line of MLP Toys.  I love them too.  Owned Everyone that was released in the USA... was bummed when the Line Ended and learned it continued in Europe which made owning them very difficult.  I can still find some, used, but, that's fine.

Gen. 3 - another line I adored.  I purchased as many as I could.  I was slightly sad that the markings were only on one side... but, heck.  MLPs were Back !  The only issue I had was when Hasbro made the little figures again.  I dislike them.  So I stopped buying... then Hasbro released the same 6 to 8 Ponies over & over in regular sizes & brushable hair.  I would buy some until the dreaded 3.5 ruined it.  ( As far as I'm concerned, 3.5 did not ever exist. ) Mad Evil or Very Mad

Gen. 4 - wasn't interested in at first because they didn't fit with the previous Generations.  They could be nothing but babies due to their size.  Then my brother purchased 2 for me for Christmas on Year and I had to try to buy each different Pony.  Not really liking the 4.5 Movie Ones... but, I like the guys.  Have a Soarin' & Big Mac Army and I did buy Tempest since she was a different size pony. Very Happy
Ponybookworm
Ponybookworm
Pepper Jack
Pepper Jack

Who here likes other Generations than G1??? Empty Re: Who here likes other Generations than G1???

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:37 am
G1s are so easy to love aren't they??? You know they look EXACTLY like Shetland Ponies (especially in Collector Pose).

G2s: yep, adorabe & gave Dabble & Scribbles some classmates of their own age. Hence I ADORE the wingless flutter HQG1Cs. To me they're the older siblings of the Baby Ponies. Even the G2 Babies fit well enough wi the Teeny Tinies.

G3s: yep, the rumpmark on one side was a big issue for me, as was the 20 variants of one Pony thing G2 started (check out how many Ivys there are for example). Biggest hate regarding Core 7: the plastic clothes!!! YEUCH!!! Is it so hard to make clothes out of real cloth??? Velcro's easy, & you get net bags to put tiny things in, or just tie off a sock, then you can launder them easily... Apart from that they integrate well, being only slightly smaller than G1s so the ideal teenagers & college students. Celebration Castle is a Pony college in my Ponyworld.

Re G4s: I've about given up on trying to integrate the normal-sized ones into the rest of the Pony populace (the Fashion Styles fit though), so they're now another race of Pony, like a pygmy Pony.

Chibis: must be the most universally HATED Ponies ever!!! I call them Chibis as like the Chibi design they have HUGE heads & feet & hardly any torso. A lot of folks say they "tried too hard to be cute" & I tend to agree. If I could get Cherrylou (NC Cheerilee's Mum), Rainbow Love (NC Rainbow Dash's Mum), & Rosey Love (NC Pinkie Pie's Mum) done in normal G3 pose I'd be very happy indeed. My personal pet hate regarding Chibis is how terribly small Sweetiebelle is compared to the rest, & if Scootaloo's supposed to be younger as well she should be that size too.

Newborn Cuties however I do actually like a lot!!! So to get more accessories I started Customising. I have a thread on UK Ponycon forum where my NC Customs are. Many are based on the big Soft Newborns, as I always want a Pony to fit in the Ponyworld, & NCs fit nicely, especially wi Pinkie Pie's Playhouse as their Nursery. So Customising the Soft Newborns as Cuties made sense.

Petites, Charms, Ponyvilles & Blind Bags: In my Ponyworld they are their own species too. Re Petites: I like the ones wi the tails better, as they're more in the spirit of MLP to me. Ponyvilles are ok in their way, & they let you build impressive worlds due to their smaller size & that's fully taken advantage of. I think MLP were realising Polly Pocket was very successful & so made tiny Ponies to go wi that. Regarding the Blind Bags I wish more of them were made as actual Ponies (with brushable hair), but it seems in G4 more focus is given to the wee ones than to the larger, normal-sized ones, unlike in previous generations where the bigger Ponies were the main focus; & for that reason I'm not a big Blind Bag person. My actual rule on Blind Bags is: if there isn't an actual Pony corresponding to a Blind Bag, I don't get the Blind Bag.

Dream Beauties: Don't have any yet. Would love to have some but they were never a part of my original Ponyworld... And they're not cheap!!! I don't want to start on how awkward they are to deal with either (hard plastic, more easily broken, nearly impossible to root...).

Plush & Soft Newborns: As Petites & Charms are classed as separate from the main lot, so should the Plush & Softies be. I've always had a soft spot (pun intended) for plushies of all descriptions & even when I told myself I couldn't get Ponies (who was I kidding???) I got loads of plush toys, including a second-hoof plushie Starshine!!! So I have nearly all the G1 plushies (Surprise & Baby Surprise missing intentionally), plus patterns I intend to use for making more plushies "someday", am only missing two of the G2 Beanies, have a load of the tufty-haired (think Russ Troll hair) & groomable-haired G3 plushies, every G4 Build-A-Bear to date plus a load of groomable-hair G4 plushies, a couple of tufty-haired plushie TS's, a couple of solid fabric-haired plushies & a range of wee Funrise (fabric-strip-haired) mini plushies. Then, of course, I have the two Kitty Custom-Made plushie Starcatchers (one's a pillow-buddy while the other is a 3-footer), as well as a load of Soft-Body Newborn G3s. I got the Crawling Scootaloo to go wi the others I have as she fits wi them. I don't like the ones made wi fitted, non-removable dresses on (surely it's easier to make her a skirt or get one from Build-A-Bear???), & I've yet to get a Soft-Bodied G4 (I do want Flurry Heart in them but until they make Soft-Bodied Pound Cake & Pumpkin Cake I don't want any others of them). I also don't have either of the bathable soft Newborns.

However, what the Ponyworld is really short of is Boys, especially in G3 where the grand total of Hasbro-made G3 Boys is ZERO!!! Due to this I get all the Core 7 Ponies I can in baity condition to make them into G3 Boys. I mean, teenagers & college students are the ones doing the romance & date thing right??? So to have no Boys among them is ridiculous!!! I use ideas of background characters in Tales, plus some of my own ideas, to make the G3 Boys. My G3 Boys have: feathers on the backs of their hooves, one colour of non-tinselled hair, one colour in their iris, no pink whatsoever (red & burgundy are used instead), & dots, stars or rumpmark-appropriate eye highlights. To go wi the G3 girls they also only feature rumpmarks on one side.
tailrustedtealeaf
tailrustedtealeaf
Fakie
Fakie
http://imiya.tumblr.com

Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:33 pm
G4 was actually my first collecting generation, and I've spent about half of my life with the FiM cartoon, so I can't deny that it was once my favorite generation.
G1: My favorite due to the sheer variety of ponies and all of the cute designs. Best designs and color schemes by far.
G2: I love these teen horses! I wish I had a few more, but their sweet, happy faces make them a loved part of my collection. Ends up being one of my least favorites simply due to the rankings.
G3: I can't keep my collection of them straight, but I still think they're cute. They seem to be less like individuals to me? I'm not sure why I think that way. Still pretty cute, my 2nd or 3rd favorite depending on the weather.
G3.5: I actually like how this set only lasted for two years, so it's feels more like a set I can reasonably complete. Loved the mermaids and appreciate the handful of hair on their head.
G4: Can't deny that the show started collecting pony for me, although I am getting sick of the lineups. Prefer the newer figures to the older ones.
Elysian_Moon
Elysian_Moon
Fakie
Fakie

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:36 pm
All of them had their good and bad. So far, I like them all... except for a certain Bobble-head Set. The 3.5 were cute looking, yet, horrible for a Collector like me. I couldn't stand the Petites, they were like Pony Toys for the Baby Ponies themselves. Plus, they were really easy to loose. I don't mind the G1 Ponies, true... certain poses look overweight and some look strange... like the sitting pony. I still like the sitting Pony, though, I didn't grow up with them as my childhood toys, just got them recently this year to complete sets. One of the reasons why I enjoy this Project. I like G1 Customs so much. <3

Ponybookworm
Ponybookworm
Pepper Jack
Pepper Jack

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:35 am
tailrustedtealeaf wrote:G4 was actually my first collecting generation, and I've spent about half of my life with the FiM cartoon, so I can't deny that it was once my favorite generation.
G1: My favorite due to the sheer variety of ponies and all of the cute designs. Best designs and color schemes by far.
G2: I love these teen horses! I wish I had a few more, but their sweet, happy faces make them a loved part of my collection. Ends up being one of my least favorites simply due to the rankings.
G3: I can't keep my collection of them straight, but I still think they're cute. They seem to be less like individuals to me? I'm not sure why I think that way. Still pretty cute, my 2nd or 3rd favorite depending on the weather.
G3.5: I actually like how this set only lasted for two years, so it's feels more like a set I can reasonably complete. Loved the mermaids and appreciate the handful of hair on their head.
G4: Can't deny that the show started collecting pony for me, although I am getting sick of the lineups. Prefer the newer figures to the older ones.
So good to see your reply on here!!! And so glad to see you were willing to go beyond the G4 world to see Pony History xxx

It's pretty much guaranteed all of us will love G1, as we wouldn't be here otherwise!!! And let's see more replies xxx
Ponybookworm
Ponybookworm
Pepper Jack
Pepper Jack

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:40 am
Elysian_Moon wrote:All of them had their good and bad.  So far, I like them all... except for a certain Bobble-head Set.  The 3.5 were cute looking, yet, horrible for a Collector like me.  I couldn't stand the Petites, they were like Pony Toys for the Baby Ponies themselves.  Plus, they were really easy to loose.  I don't mind the G1 Ponies, true... certain poses look overweight and some look strange... like the sitting pony.  I still like the sitting Pony, though, I didn't grow up with them as my childhood toys, just got them recently this year to complete sets.  One of the reasons why I enjoy this Project.  I like G1 Customs so much. <3

I never minded some Ponies being bigger, some being smaller, some being chubby, some being thin; it meant Ponies came in all shapes & sizes, just like real humans & nothing like the old dolls we used to have who all had the same shape. Right now for example I can claim to look like a cross between a G3 SLH & a G1 Secret Surprise (tall, wider than I should be & long-haired). I like that about the G1s: the fact they were so varied.
Elysian_Moon
Elysian_Moon
Fakie
Fakie

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:47 pm
I guess I wasn't clear in my meaning. Sorry. Smile

I meant that I liked ALL the G1 Figures, regardless of sizes... yet, some of those Body Shapes were odd looking to me. Not that I care if they resemble real Ponies, some poses just didn't look right. Plus, I am not the only one, I spoke to another that doesn't like the sitting ponies and refuses to get them. I admit, they do look odd... but, I like them. Kind of like the Pocket Ponies. Their builds were larger & wider than the regular poses, I personally, made them all male due to that... but, I still like them.

I collect MLP Toys, though, I do not collect it all. I have a plush or 2 from childhood, that Dream Beauty, though they are most likely in storage. I was not a fan of the Petites or Blind Bags. I did not care for everything MLP that Hasbro made. I like all my Ponies to sit on my shelves, that is why I only purchased those that fit... usually. I do have that Giant Celestia and Cadence that almost stands 12 inches tall. Very Happy LOL
Ponybookworm
Ponybookworm
Pepper Jack
Pepper Jack

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:46 am
Elysian_Moon wrote:I guess I wasn't clear in my meaning.  Sorry. Smile

I meant that I liked ALL the G1 Figures, regardless of sizes... yet, some of those Body Shapes were odd looking to me.  Not that I care if they resemble real Ponies, some poses just didn't look right.  Plus, I am not the only one, I spoke to another that doesn't like the sitting ponies and refuses to get them.  I admit, they do look odd... but, I like them.  Kind of like the Pocket Ponies.  Their builds were larger & wider than the regular poses, I personally, made them all male due to that... but, I still like them.

I collect MLP Toys, though, I do not collect it all.  I have a plush or 2 from childhood, that Dream Beauty, though they are most likely in storage.  I was not a fan of the Petites or Blind Bags.  I did not care for everything MLP that Hasbro made.  I like all my Ponies to sit on my shelves, that is why I only purchased those that fit... usually.  I do have that Giant Celestia and Cadence that almost stands 12 inches tall. Very Happy  LOL

We're not ALL going to agree on the same things!!! There are some G1 Poses I don't like, like North Star's pose wasn't really appealing to me, & a lot of people get their BBEs normal eyes as the openy-closey ones freak them out (meaning UK Baby Gusty, Heart Throb, Ribbon & non-FT Lickety Split sold like hotcakes to US sellers!!! As did their Euro equivalents).

I just wanted to know who liked other generations of Ponies, & talk about that. We are, so that's all good xxx
Clipper
Clipper
Celebration
Celebration
http://clipper.ecrater.com

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:17 am
I mainly collect G1 these days. But I do love g2 and g3 as well, and pick up a few here and there when I see ones I like. I’m not a fan of g3.5 at all. I use to collect G4, but they don’t do much for me anymore so I sold most of them.
Ponybookworm
Ponybookworm
Pepper Jack
Pepper Jack

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:17 am
Clipper wrote:I mainly collect G1 these days. But I do love g2 and g3 as well, and pick up a few here and there when I see ones I like. I’m not a fan of g3.5 at all. I use to collect G4, but they don’t do much for me anymore so I sold most of them.

Awww cheers for replying!!!
Elysian_Moon
Elysian_Moon
Fakie
Fakie

Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:41 pm
I for one, loved the Beddy Bye Eye baby Ponies.  So... yeah, I do know that not all of us are going to agree.  Wasn't implying that we should.  We can like whatever Ponies we do and dislike the ones we do.  I was just trying to clarify my comments.  Smile

The Pose North Star is in tends to be a Male for me.  Same with Cupcake & Sky Rocket's Pose.  All Boys.  Very Happy

YAY Clipper !  He hates the 3.5 like I do. Wink  LOL
Ponybookworm
Ponybookworm
Pepper Jack
Pepper Jack

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:10 am
Lol!!! I don't mind BBEs either...

Maybe it's just me, but I've grown to think: furry hooves = Boy, non-furry hooves = Girl. I know it doesn't explain Baby Lucky Pose (maybe they're just furrier all over???) but in general that's what I do. I know others agree as many furry-hoofed versions of the Family Friends Daddies have been Customised by others (even I had a shot wi some very annoying thinned paints in the hair... It did work though & I also used the technique to craft the older siblings). My Sportstime was always a girl, but a tomboy girl. I didn't like Hasbro insinuating Gingerbread & the two Skyrockets were Boys... but again that's just me...

Everybody has their own likes, dislikes, beliefs & so on. The good thing is we can discuss this on here civilly.
Elysian_Moon
Elysian_Moon
Fakie
Fakie

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:38 pm
Yes. We can all discuss our Pony Loves.
MnDancer
MnDancer
Fakie
Fakie

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:37 am
G1 is by far my fave, that's what I've collected since 1983. G2 I didn't really like as much from the get-go but collected them while in stores just for the sake of encouraging Hasbro to continue making MLPs. I sold most of them now, but still have my fave. I went nuts when I saw the first G3s in stores because they looked more like the original ponies and were gorgeous with their big eyes. I tried to keep up and collect them all while in stores, but I just couldn't afford to. I atill have a G3 collection nearly as big as my G1 collection. G3.5 just seemed too babyish to me and I never collected those. I only have one that I received as a gift. G4s blew me away with how different they were. My first impression was that they were anime and I wondered if they were japanese, lol. But the fact that they brought in G1 elements like Applejack got my attention. I have no intention of collecting all G4s though, I just collect the ones that catch my eye. I think I have 40ish, no where near the hundreds of G1s and G3s I have.
Ponybookworm
Ponybookworm
Pepper Jack
Pepper Jack

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:12 pm
Cheers for your reply!!! What a lovely collection story!!!
sailorsolarstar
sailorsolarstar
Fakie
Fakie

Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:26 pm
I love all the different generations, at least as far as merchandise goes! The shows on the other hand, well, Friendship is Magic the best so far and I am sad to hear that Season 9 is the final season.
My mom started collecting them when they first came out in the 1980's so I had been collecting since I was a baby, lol! i love all the G1 ponies. I have yet to find one I don't like!

I am a HUGE fan of G2 items! I loved G1 Twinkle Eyed ponies so when they came out with the G2 I was THRILLED!
Sky Skimmer and Princess Crystal (and Prince Firefly) are my favorites.
G3 came out when I was in my teens so I wasn't too into them but still collected them. Most of mine are still in box but when my kids saw them they wanted to play with them so I started buying loose ponies for them both. They love the magnetic hoof on them and put them on anything they can find to cling to, lol
Then of course G4 had many interesting items come out. Again, most of my stuff is in box but the kids each have their own sets.
I am a huge Fluttershy fan and even have a custom Flutterbat plush! My husband likes Applejack so he has a bat version plush of her to match mine.
Ponybookworm
Ponybookworm
Pepper Jack
Pepper Jack

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:50 am
sailorsolarstar wrote:I love all the different generations, at least as far as merchandise goes! The shows on the other hand, well, Friendship is Magic the best so far and I am sad to hear that Season 9 is the final season.
My mom started collecting them when they first came out in the 1980's so I had been collecting since I was a baby, lol! i love all the G1 ponies. I have yet to find one I don't like!

I am a HUGE fan of G2 items! I loved G1 Twinkle Eyed ponies so when they came out with the G2 I was THRILLED!
Sky Skimmer and Princess Crystal (and Prince Firefly) are my favorites.
G3 came out when I was in my teens so I wasn't too into them but still collected them. Most of mine are still in box but when my kids saw them they wanted to play with them so I started buying loose ponies for them both. They love the magnetic hoof on them and put them on anything they can find to cling to, lol
Then of course G4 had many interesting items come out. Again, most of my stuff is in box but the kids each have their own sets.
I am a huge Fluttershy fan and even have a custom Flutterbat plush! My husband likes Applejack so he has a bat version plush of her to match mine.
Cheers for your reply & what a great family story!!!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum